These [very] hot summer days have had me reminisce of this Aguachile Rojo recipe we published on our Super Mamas page last year in partnership with Northgate. The fresno and habanero chiles combination make for the perfect spice. Make sure you buy extra tostadas, because believe me, everyone will want to dip the tostadas in the juice. Also, this dish pairs beautifully with an I Love Micheladas. Because let's keep it real, no ceviche dish is complete without a proper michelada, right?
PRO TIP: Save a tablespoon of the fresno chile sauce, and add about 1/2 cup of olive oil plus a squeeze of lime juice and salt to make a bright and delicious vinaigrette. Use over any quinoa, bean and hardboiled egg salad. Seriously, just having this vinaigrette laying around can make any salad (or hard boiled egg) taste fancy.
Don't forget to tag me on the gram by using tag #MoleandMore or tagging me @BriciaLopez
- Peel and clean the shrimp. Using a small, sharp knife, butterfly the shrimp open by slicing almost all the way through the back side. This will help the shrimp lay more flat while marinating and cooking.
- Rinse the shrimp in cold water and pat dry with paper towels and transfer back to shallow glass dish.
- Add the juice of the 8 key limes, making sure the shrimp is covered with lime juice. Cover and chill while you prep the rest of ingredients, about 15 min
- in a blender, add the red Fresno peppers, habaneros, juice of 4 key limes, grapeseed oil and salt to taste. Pulse or blend until desired consistency. Taste for salt.
- Pour this mixture over the shrimp/lime mixture making sure it’s mixed in evenly. Season with fresh cracked pepper.
- Layer the cucumbers, onions, and cilantro over the top. Chill for another 15 more minutes. make sure the shrimp has been chilling in the fridge for at least of a total of 30 minutes in total before serving, mix all together. Serve with tostadas.
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- Juice of 8 limes
- 4 red Fresno peppers, stems removed
- 2 to 3 habanero peppers, stems removed
- Juice of 4 limes
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped